The Eaquals Framework for Language Teacher Training and Development (TD Framework), now available in German as well as English, reflects recent interest across the profession in describing and supporting the development of language teacher competences, seen as a combination of attitudes, values, knowledge and skills. It resulted from an internal Eaquals project involving specialists from several member institutions, and can be used to complement the less detailed European Profiling Grid (EPG).
Like the EPG, the TD Framework aims to help teachers to evaluate and reflect on their language teaching competences, but in greater depth and using more detailed descriptors. It sets out key professional competences in terms of attitudes, knowledge and skills at three main phases of development and encourages a positive attitude to self-assessment and evaluation.
Who is it for?
The TD Framework is equally relevant for both novice and experienced teachers, for academic managers, for teacher educators and for those planning and designing teacher training programmes.
What are its main aims?
- To help practising teachers to assess and reflect on their own language teaching competences, and to set their own goals for further development
- to help managers to identify training needs and plan professional development support for practising teachers
- to encourage teachers to continue their professional development on their own and with the support of their institutions
- to help document the design of public training courses for practising teachers
- to serve as a tool for evaluating and accrediting teacher training courses.
The TD Framework can also serve as a basis for those wishing to develop additional descriptors for more specific areas, such as the teaching of languages for academic purposes, materials design, teaching young learners, teaching one-to-one lessons, and providing specialised training.